Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Greatly disappointed

The YOG torch arrived at our school last Wednesday morning. I was expecting something fun, something exciting, something that won’t be a waste of time to me.

What turned out to be a great disappointment. We waited for approximately one hour for the torch to arrived, only to discover that the “torch” is actually a lantern, not a ... torch. The flame was so tiny! And what’s more was that I was expecting the “torchbearers” to be a young and energetic athlete running to the finishing point in front of the clock tower. But what we got was an old man who was walking slowly. Oh come on! This is the torch relay of the YOG! Why wasn’t it lively athlete carrying the “torch”?

After the “torchbearers” walked passed, our history teacher gave us this question: what is the significance of the mini “torch” and whether it was worth the time. Then we waited for another one hour just to see two buses full of joyful athlete cheering and shouting exiting our school compound. We didn’t get to see the lion dance performance and other entertainment that was promised as they were at the front of the clock tower, while we were stationed near the gate, which was rather far from the tower.

To answer my history teacher’s question, no, i don’t think it was worth the time. I was not at all excited, or encourage, or feel what ever the whole process wanted me and my fellow friends to feel. I would rather spend the time studying than to wait for one hour, watch a extremely small flame in a huge lantern walk passed me in less than a minute and wait for another hour again before we were dismissed for our recess.

No comments:

Post a Comment